README.cygwin - Parrot under Cygwin
Parrot builds out of the box under Cygwin.
Some tweaks are needed for different names of dynamic loading of some dll's.
You'll need the following Cygwin packages to build Parrot.
- If you use SVN to get a copy of Parrot,
you should use the Cygwin SVN and not the TortoiseSVN client to avoid build errors.
Similarly you will need Cygwin Perl rather than ActiveState or Strawberry Perl.
- This is no official Cygwin package yet.
icu4c-3_8 builds out of the box on Cygwin.
- Note that ICU is now optional, you can build Parrot without it, by not installing it or asking Parrot to ignore it (
make test # see PLATFORMS for known issues.
- Makefile tuning
- rename libparrot.dll to cygparrot.dll, create an interim libparrot.dll.a
- fix the blib/lib PATH issue
- DLL versioning
- cyg*-1.1.dll instead of lib*.so.1.1
- Thanks to the " http://" in Windows DLL Hell and the impossibility of file hardlinks, windows dll names are versioned, so the loadlib function or the various pir's needs more logic.
- Either add the version to each loadlib call, and stem the version from POSIX versions within get_path(), or add an optional version argument to loadlib for win32. Or just fix all the pir's.
- Threads, Events, and Signals are missing.
- Reini Urban <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last updated: 1 June 2008